Minutes of a Meeting of the Parish Council held on

 Wednesday 8th May 2013 in the Cator Hall after the Annual Parish Meeting and the Annual Parish Council Meeting which began at 7.30p.m.


Present: Mrs M Curry, Mr L Haslam, Mrs S Wilson, Mr R Brown, Mrs J Chow, Cllr B Laughton, Cllr R Jackson.

Apologies: Mr P Lambert, Mr R Howes.

Minutes: The Minutes of the Meeting held on 10th April 2013 were circulated prior to the meeting. It was proposed by Mrs S Wilson, seconded by Mr R Brown and agreed unanimously that these be signed as a true record.

Matters Arising:

1.Wind Farm Update: Dealt with in Annual Parish Meeting

2.National Grid Pylon Scheme: Mrs Curry told the meeting that Matt Lamb (NSDC) rang to say that they had not received the Parish Council comments on this application. Investigations going ahead into Email connections for sending planning responses as this had been sent. Mr Lamb has now agreed to attend the PC meeting in June and it was agreed to put this information in the Eakring Echo so that interested Parishoners can attend.

3. Neighbourhood Watch: Mrs Chow revealed that 2 volunteers had responded to the request in the Eakring Echo. She had made a number of enquiries to further the scheme but had so far been thwarted by a lack of replies. Mrs Curry encouraged her to keep trying.

4.Footpaths Update: The Clerk explained that he had tried to pass on details about the way maker being down on FP1 and the query about the dyke on the same FP as well as the FP 4 sign not having being re-erected after more than 2months but the response had been a) the Footpaths Officer is on sick leave. b) the Footpaths Officer has now resigned and we will have to wait for a new area FP Officer to be appointed for action to be sanctioned. It was agreed to ask the new County Councillor for help.

5.Village Sign: This concept was considered a feasible idea and the Clerk will bring details of potential Companies to the next meeting.

County/District Councillors:

When this section was reached only Cllr Laughton was in attendance and he agreed to take items relevant to NCC to Cllr Jackson.

1 Cllr Laughton reported on personally having another close encounter with a lorry on the Caunton Road . Mrs Curry said that villagers were experiencing the same thing on a regular basis and agreed with Cllr Laughton that pushing for an Environmental Weight Limit, because of the dangerous nature of the road, ought to be the next option. She pointed out the road was getting worse not helped by NCC vehicles using it as a short cut to Newark when the Parish Council had been given assurances that they would only come to and from  the town to the new Bilsthorpe Depot via the A617. Cllr Laughton promised to sort this matter out.

2. The Parish Council informed Cllr Laughton that Matt Lamb (NSDC Planning) would be attending the next PC meeting and he said that he was on his way to meet an Eakring Parishoner re a Planning Dept concern after this meeting.

3.Mrs Curry asked if Cllr Laughton could find out the name and phone number of a contact at NCDC if Eakring residents have concerns about noise or shadow flicker now the turbines are up and running. He replied Jeremy Hutchinson, Head of Environmental Health and to ring the main number at Kelham Hall.

4.Mrs Chow explained her problems progressing the establishment of a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in Eakring  and Cllr Laughton agreed to get Inspector Gann of Notts Police to contact her.

5. Cllr Jackson was welcomed to the meeting and congratulated on his success in the NCC elections

6. He was given a copy of a letter from a Parishoner which raised concerns about the future of the Countryman Bus. The PC filled in details of the history of the problem.

7. Mrs Curry raised with Cllr Jackson the difficulties that not having a Footpaths Officer in post would cause.

8.Worries about the volume , speed and type of traffic on the Caunton Road were mentioned to Cllr Jackson.


1.Letter from Mrs A Peech re Mains Water Pipe: Clerk to reply that does not come under control of PC – is STW/Householder issue.

2.NSDC; Community Resilience Stores-Noted

3. NSDC: Parish Council Insurance Scheme-Renewal 1 June 2013- It was proposed by Mrs M Curry, seconded by Mr L Haslam and agreed unanimously to renew for year 2013-14.

4.Autela Payroll Services: Clerk brought to attention new HMRC legislation that has introduced RTI. Option to outsource payroll or keep inhouse remembering that the Parish Council are responsible in errors are made- Noted and decided to keep inhouse.

5. Clerks and Councils. May 2013. The Clerk brought to the Parish Council’s attention an article ‘Meetings and Procedures’ P12. As a result of which it was decided:

a.The agenda will have a section Public Questions and Comments after Matters Arising.

b.The PC, whilst noting the article, will continue with the present way of receiving the agenda.

c. The section ‘Any Other Business’ will be removed from the agenda.

d. The Chairman will initial each page of the Minutes when they are signed.

6.NSDC: Public Consultation on the Draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document- Noted arrival and began circulation.

Items Circulated:

1.Glasdon Brochure

2.NCC: Superfast Broadband for Notts Project.

3.Clerk and Councils Direct-May 2013


                                  Application Number 12/01586/FUL

                                  Householder application for erection of a door canopy to the front

                                  March Cottage Kirklington Road Eakring

                                   Received and Circulated 15.4.13

                                   For 7 against Nil

The following decision notice was received:

                                  Application Number 13/00247/FUL

                                  Householder application for two and a half storey extension

                                   demolition of single storey rear extension, single storey

                                   garden room extension and internal alterations.

                                   Old Church Farm Kirklington Road Eakring

                                   Application Permitted Full Planning Permission 24.4.13

Late agenda item:

                                  Application Number 13/00517/FUL

                                   Householder application for construction of detached single storey

                                   building (with storage in roofspace) to form granny annexe

                                   (Resubmission of 12/01458/FUL)

                                    Nalah Cottage School Eakring

After viewing plans and discussion the Parish Council felt unable to reach a decision and asked the Clerk to contact the Case Officer at NSDC for clarification of points raised in discussion.

Cator Hall:

Mr Brown reported that Tesco had paid for Carmalor to demolish and make safe the wall that one of their vans had damaged. Three quotes had been sought for rebuilding which varied widely in price. A decision was awaited.

Mr Brown went on to say that Experian would not now be decorating the main hall interior and the Cator Hall Committee would be forming a work party to do it themselves.

Recreation Ground:

The Clerk had surveyed the field and believed that it needed mowing in the near future.


There were no accounts to be paid.

Any Other Business:

1.32 Trees Received From Central Networks:  Mr Haslam told the meeting he had taken advice from a ‘treeman’ and the trees would be perfectly safe in containers until autumn if they were watered. Thoughts needed to be given to a suitable place to plant them. Mr Haslam gave a suggestion of placing them either side of the Eakring signs at the entrances to the village though possible problems were raised to this location.


There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.40. p.m.


David Ottewell

Clerk. 8.5.13.