A meeting of the Parish Council followed the Annual Parish Meeting and the Annual Parish Council Meeting on  Wednesday 14th May 2008 in the Cator Hall



Mrs M Curry, Mr R Neale, Mr R Howes, Mr L Haslam, Mrs S Wilson, Mr R Brown, Cllr A Stewart and 3 parishioners.



Mr D Brozyna, Cllr B Laughton, Cllr N Armstrong



The minutes of the meeting held on the 9th April were read.  It was proposed by Mr R Neale, seconded by Mrs S Wilson and agreed unanimously that these be signed as a true record.


Matters Arising

  1. PO Update: Madame Chairman reported that the PO will open on a temporary basis for 3 half days a week while the sub-postmaster negotiates with NSDC about change of use of the shop to living accommodation.
  2. Gateways: After a meeting with Don Gray (NCC Highways) Cllr Stewart, Mrs Curry and the Clerk, the PC are awaiting a letter with revised suggestions.  They are likely to be ‘head and shoulder’ signs, except on Wellow Road and sited at the entrance to the village, again except on Wellow Road.
  3. The Clerk reported that the Speed watch Co-ordinator felt unable to mount another campaign.  On investigation, the problem appeared to be a lack of helpers.  An appeal in the Eakring Echo brought no new volunteers. Mr R Neale said he would see if he could organise the volunteers already listed to organise some coverage.
  4. The Clerk reported that he had phoned the Enforcement Officer about the planning query raised last month and that no Enforcement Notice was outstanding.  The PC instructed the P Clerk to write to the Enforcement Officer requesting a written history of the enforcement notice on the property.
  5. A letter has been received from the Planning Department at NSDC about the house on Kirklington Road.  It says they have written to the owner asking for clarification about the oil tank and drains.
  6. Newark and Sherwood Homes have agreed to repair/replace the missing section of fence between the Recreation Ground and the garages on Triumph Close and will place a ‘No Flytipping’ sign by the last garage.  A parishioner reported nearly knocking over a small child that was using this route, as he backed out of his garage recently.  The PC agreed to place a warning of the dangers of this route in the Eakring Echo.


County/District Councillors

  1. Councillor Stewart said that £146,000 had been budgeted to resurface (High Street) Main Street.
  2. £163,000 had been allocated for work on the Maplebeck to Caunton Road.
  3. A £2,000 grant had been given for a village history interpretation board.  Cllr Stewart would confirm this.
  4. Cllr Laughton arrived to contribute to discussion of the wind farm appeal.



  1. NSDC Insurance for Parish Councils 1st June 2008.  It was proposed by Mr R Neale, seconded by Mr L Haslam, with all in agreement that the PC continue with the same policy for the forthcoming year.
  2. NCC County Council Civic Service 13th July 2008 invitation.
  3. BT Payphones Consultation re removal of telephone box.  The feeling of the PC was that they understood the removal of a little used service but wanted to retain the box for historical landmark reasons.  They would be willing to buy and maintain it at a reasonable cost.
  4. NSDC formally inviting PC to provide them with a copy of their comments on BT’s telephone box proposals.
  5. NCC requesting written representations on parish’s experience of the summer floods.
  6. NCC Area Rights of Way Officer:
    1. FP27 now on annual maintenance contract
    2. Replacement FP27 sign
    3. Welcome suggestions for other way marking improvements.
  7. NALC Course on Planning – Egmanton 11th June.
  8. Rural Voice Magazine including applying for grants course Kelham Hall (20th May).
  9. NSDC Local Assessment of Standards Complaint Procedures.
  10. PO Temporary Closure, details of revised hours
  11.  Tree works a) Cherry Cottage, Church Lane  and b) Hendiadys, Church Lane.
  12. Cator Hall Management Committee, Keeping hall tidy.
  13. NSDC Route A616-A614 not suitable for signage but to be considered for environmental weight restriction.  Items circulated:
  14. Parking enforcement brochures
  15. Bassetlaw, Newark, Sherwood, Safer Neighbourhood Group, next meeting
  16. NSDC Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment proforma.
  17. NHS New GP led Health Centre for Notts – Public Consultation.
  18. NCC Communities Dept Business Plan 2008/11
  19. NCC Planning and Landscape Briefing April 08
  20. NSDC Community Newsletter Apr 08
  21. NCC Travel and Transport Briefing May 08
  22. Clerks and Councils Direct May 08
  23. NCC Countylink April 08
  24. NCC ‘Become a School Governor’ flier
  25. NCC Blidworth, Bilsthorpe and Southwell area Local Bus Travel Guide
  26. NCC Planning and Landscape Briefing May 08.



Application Number 08/00506/LBC

Alterations to former agricultural buildings to form 4 dwellings

Pond Farm, Kirklington Road, Eakring

Circulated and returned 30.4.08

For 7, Against 0 (nil)


Application Number 08/00507/FUL

Conversion of former agricultural buildings to 4 dwellings and erection of 4 dwellings

Pond Farm, Kirklington Road, Eakring

Circulated and returned 30.4.08

For 7, Against 0 (nil)


The following decision notices were received:


Application Number 08/00257/FUL

Erection of detached dwelling and garage

Land rear of High Bank, Kirklington Road, Eakring

Refuse full planning permission 28.4.08


Application Number 08/00195/FUL

3 new dwellings and associated works

Land at Bleak House, Kirklington Road

Withdrawn 24.4.08


The following appeal notice was received:


Application Number 07/00856/FULEIA

Wind farm of five turbines with associated items


Land at Stonish Hill and former Bilsthorpe Colliery Site.


A late agenda item:

Appeal Notice

Application Number 07/00885/FUL

Appeal ref no B3030/A/08/2067063/NWF

Proposed new dwelling

Land rear of Hollies Farm, Main Street, Eakring


A discussion took place on the wind farm appeal.  Madame Chairman reported that she had been trying to find out information on the appeal from NSDC.  Cllr Laughton said it was important to get Cllr Armstrong to ‘fight for your cause’ and also that Head of Planning Mike Evans should on this occasion be supporting the ‘No Wind Farm’ view point.  He expressed the view that Mike Evans should be asked to buy in outside experts to advise on the best strategy to fight the ‘No wind farm’ case.  The PC agreed that Madame Chairman would co-ordinate the PC response.


Cator Hall

There had been a work day and two concerts to boost funds in the past month.  Mr Brown reported that the oil tank needed renewing.  Estimates for work on all the toilets had come in at between £5-6,000.  WREN funding might be in the pipeline.


Recreation Ground

The Clerk reported that thanks to Councillors Mr Brown and Mr Haslam, the roller had been recovered the chained up, and the fly tipping rubbish removed to the tip.



The first half of the precept has arrived and the Clerk proposed to transfer £350 to the election account and £920 to the deposit account.


Any Other Business

  1. Tree cutting on Back Lane was discussed.  The following things arose from this:

a)     It would be a good idea to suggest to the landowner the planting of some replacement trees.

b)     Parish Councillors are advised to report things to the Clerk for onward transmission to the relevant authority rather than contact parishioners direct.

c)      Parish Councillors and parishioners need refreshing on what constitutes a ‘tree’ and what is permitted work.  Clerk to write to Mr Catchpole for a definition.

d)     Clerk to report the tree cutting to Mr Catchpole at NSDC.

  1. The issue of the ancient drains in the village was raised.
  2. A parishioner has raised the question of the PC’s use of the Eakring Echo and its sponsorship.
  3. Another parishioner wished to know if the problems with the telephone directories have been solved yet.
  4. Mr Neale said a parishioner had drawn his attention to overhanging foliage on the pavement on Main Street between Wellow Road junction and the Old School.  Clerk to contact Highways Dept.
  5. The missile launcher parked at a property on Kirklington Road has caused comments from a number of parishioners about unauthorised access of a vehicle to a property and causing damage to the road surface.  Clerk to contact Highways Dept.


There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.15pm.


Next meeting scheduled for 11th June 2008.


Signed M Curry 11.06.08